Last week my students had a research report due, worth a major grade. I have done everything I can think of to get kids to finish and turn in their projects, to no avail. Here’s a short list of things I’ve tried with them:
- students wrote in their school agendas
- assignment written on the whiteboard
- said as many times as possible in class, to particular students, making eye contact
- made said students repeat the due date to me multiple times
- posted requirements, links, and how-tos on the school website
- put sticky notes on binders
- used conference/event style wristbands with directions written on them
- made students call their parents in front of me
Naturally, I figured there was no way a student could forget to finish his or her presentation now.
Today I began asking students about missing presentations. In every one of my classes today, I was met with blank stares and students saying, “what project?”
I told myself I was never going to do this, but I think it’s time.
I am buying a tattoo gun.